Skin Deep Media CIC is a Community Interest Company (CIC) that makes space for Black creatives and creatives of colour to work towards justice through cultural production.
We treat all the information you share with the utmost respect. We will never sell it to anyone. We will only use your contact information to keep in touch with you if you have given us permission to do so, or in ways that are relevant and specific to our working relationship, and we will never share it with any third party without your permission.
For the purposes of this policy, ‘we’ and ‘Skin Deep’ signifies Skin Deep Media CIC (data controller), and ‘you’ signifies the relevant individual (data subject).
- What types of data do we collect?
- Personal identification information (name, email address, phone number, social media tags)
- Personal documents, tax status and details (for individuals entering into working relationships with us)
- Skin Deep occasionally asks paid contributors for the disclosure of certain protected characteristics (race, age, disability, gender identity), for the purpose of identifying funding pots that are ring fenced for contributions from specific communities, e.g. Black Creatives Fund. You will never be obliged to supply this information if you do not wish to.
- What are the different ways we collect data?
- From mailing list sign ups
- From membership sign ups
- From responses to pitch callout links
- From individuals sending direct emails with pitches to a skindeepmag.com address or via direct messages to our Skin Deep social media accounts
- From online orders on our website shop
- From voluntarily completed surveys
- What are the different ways we use data?
- For those that have provided us with personal identification information by signing up for our mailing list or our membership scheme, we will use your data to stay in touch with monthly newsletters, and with any additional email communications relevant to our work and to your interest in it.
- For those that have provided us with personal identification information in relation to submitting a pitch of any kind to us, we will use your data for the purposes of reviewing your submission, onward correspondence relating to the same and for further related activities. If you have submitted a pitch that was unsuccessful, we may hold onto your personal information in the event of Skin Deep approaching you for a commission for a future project. You reserve the right to opt out of us holding onto your information if you do want us to contact you in this way.
- For those that have provided us with personal identification information by ordering from our online shop, we will use your data to process your order and manage your account.
- For those that have provided us with personal identification information or disclosure of protected characteristics by voluntarily contributing to surveys or workshops connected to our programming, we will use your data solely for research purposes related to the specific project. If we share insights from any such project with any third party (e.g. our funders, fellow organisations working towards social justice) the information will always be anonymised.
- For those that have provided us with personal identification information, the disclosure of protected characteristics or personal documents relating to an employment agreement with Skin Deep, we will use your data to fulfil our legal requirement as an employer and for internal processes relating to your employment.
- All collected data will be kept in strict confidence.
- How do we store your data?
- Skin Deep securely stores your data on our internal database, accessible exclusively to employees of the organisation whose work is relevant to the specific strands of data use (as detailed in 3.)
- Skin Deep will store your data for no longer than is necessary for the specific data usage (as detailed in 3.)
- Your Data Protection Rights
- Under the Data Protection Act 2018, you have the right to find out what information the government and other organisations store about you. Please visit the UK government website for comprehensive information.
- If you are a subscriber to our mailing list, you have the option to unsubscribe at the bottom of every email newsletter we send out.
- You have the right to withdraw consent to our holding of your personal data at any time. Please email email@example.com with subject line ‘Personal Data Enquiry’.