We are hiring! Check out current vacancies below…
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter to hear about new jobs (and other fun stuff).
Operations and Development Coordinator
We’re looking for an Operations and Development Coordinator! At least, we think that’s what we’re looking for. The job title might change, because there’s lots of different ways this new person could contribute to our goal of making Skin Deep financially resilient. Internally, we just refer to this new role as ‘the unicorn’.
Working closely with the co-directors, the unicorn’s goal is to help Skin Deep bring in and manage the money needed to deliver our programme of work. Maybe you can help us develop an amazing fundraising and finance strategy for the organisation. Maybe you can help us set up the systems to deliver that strategy. You might have a background in fundraising for charities, or maybe you’ve spent time doing finance for a small business. Whatever your experience, you need to be strategic, organised, good with a spreadsheet, comfortable taking the lead on a new strand of work, and above all, dedicated to justice work, both in what you do and how you do it. Your primary aim is to help put Skin Deep in the best position to deliver on its mission to promote and nurture Black creatives and creatives of colour.
If you have a head for numbers, an eye for detail and want to apply your skills to racial justice work, we would love to hear from you! You’ll find details on how to apply at the bottom of this page.
Skin Deep is a London-based, femme-led, anti-racist arts and media organisation. We make digital and physical space for Black creatives and creatives of colour to work towards justice through cultural production. With in-person live events back on, a new website and membership scheme in the works, and a new programme of online storytelling about to launch, this is an exciting time to join the team!
The important bits
Contract type: Contractor / Freelance
Term / hours: This is a part-time fixed-term position, but hours are highly flexible. It is 24 working days in total, which we currently imagine to be spread over 4 months starting in July or August – so that’s 6 days per month, 1 to 2 days per week. But if you’re the right person for the job and that doesn’t work for you, we can discuss a working pattern that fits better!
(Note: We really hope to be able to extend the position beyond 24 days, depending on future funding – but there’s no guarantee, so for now this should be considered a fixed-term position.)
Rate: £175 per day (this is the fee that all co-directors and current staff receive, but there is room for negotiation)
Application deadline: rolling deadline
Start date: July or August
A little bit about you
You’ll be designing new systems and strategies, so you need to be able to generate new ideas, solve problems, and take ownership of a project. The core team will support in every way we can, but you will be bringing expertise that we don’t have – so you have to be able to lead!
Skin Deep runs on a combination of grants from funders; commissions from arts institutions and venues; income from magazines, events, and occasional merch; donations and, in the near future, membership fees. As our new team member, you could be keeping an eye on all incomings and outgoings, writing and managing budgets across multiple projects, figuring out the best tools or processes to manage the organisation’s finances, or taking the lead on funding new funding sources and income opportunities.
You are adaptive and resourceful. You are a clear and kind communicator, and work well in a culture that prizes mutual support over competition or ambition. You share our values and our commitment to serving our community.
Potential key responsibilities
Here are some of the ways we think you could help:
- Working with the core team, help us develop a 5-year fundraising and financial strategy, with a more detailed plan for the first 2 years and a general set of goals for the longer term. This will involve: analysing current income and expenditure; working with the core team to cost our program of work; setting fundraising and earnings targets; and any other tasks necessary to produce a plan that is well-informed and enables the organisation to deliver on its mission.
- Set up an internal financial monitoring/reporting system for all income and expenditure across our full program of work that will help keep the organisation’s finances in order
- Research new funding opportunities and lead on new funding applications
- Assist in the financial side of our income-generating activities, such as events, magazines, and membership
- Assist the core team in producing project-specific budgets
- Ensure compliance with legal obligations relating to finance and fundraising
- Pay invoices, set up efficient filing systems, and help prepare the organisation for filing accounts & other reporting
How to apply
If you think you might be our unicorn, please send a CV and short cover letter to email@example.com with ‘Unicorn’ as the subject line. Your cover letter can be written (no more than 2 pages), or a video/voice recording (no more than 4 minutes).
Here’s what we want to know:
1. What skills or experience would you like to bring to the team?
2. Which part of this role most excites or inspires you?
3. If hired, how would you approach making Skin Deep financially resilient?
4. Why do you want to work at Skin Deep?
If you have any questions on the role or the application process, or need any information in an alternative format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
We particularly encourage applications from Black, POC or racialised people; trans and non-binary people; working class people; and people with lived experience of disability.
We look forward to hearing from you!